Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Gastric Bypass -- Why I Did It

Okay.

So this is not something I'm used to talking about publicly.  But if it helps others, I'm all for it.

I had gastric bypass surgery in 2012.

Ok, I said it.

I don't know why I'm so afraid to tell people.  I mean, they can definitely tell that I'm losing weight at a rapid pace.

I decided to have gastric bypass surgery because I was over 100 lbs. over my goal weight, and diet and exercise didn't seem to be cutting it.  I was starting to have health issues, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol; and overall was having trouble functioning.

My brother had gastric bypass surgery, and lost over 100 lbs. without incident   My husband had gastric bypass surgery, and lost over 60 lbs. without incident.  They both had amazing results and little to no problems.  I was encouraged by this.  After looking into it further, I decided to take the plunge.

I did not take the decision lightly.  I am scared to death of health procedures, and had never spent a day in the hospital in my life.  But I knew if I didn't do something quickly, I would live a much shorter life than I intended.

So I bit the bullet.  I signed up for my first "orientation" class to see if this was really right for me.

The rest is history.  I will share more about my experience with the procedure, and how things have turned out.  (Spoiler:  I have lost 53 lbs. so far and feel better than I have in years.)

No comments:

Post a Comment