Saturday, May 1, 2010

Review Your Journal Monthly To Stay On Track

Happy May Day!  According to Wikipedia, May Day refers to several public holidays and cultural celebrations.  May 1 is also the beginning of a new month, and my birthday month at that, so that is reason to celebrate!

I'll admit that in my lifetime I have never celebrated May Day.  Well, not that I can remember.  For many years, though, I have "celebrated" the first of the month.  To me, it has represented a new beginning; a way to start over.  If I had faltered at all at school or work or with my family and friends, I used the first of the month to mentally wipe the slate clean.  I gave myself permission to move on.  And I always promised myself I would do better.

Granted, there have been months when I didn't do such a good job of "doing better."  But at the first of the month, I would set aside the feelings of guilt and disappointment and strive to do better for the next 30 days.

My journal has always played a large part in this.  I am able to look back over the past month of writings and notes and see where I have been successful and not so successful.  From there I can create a plan for what I want to accomplish and how I want to do and be better.

Do you have a review process for your journal?  As you look back over your previous entries and notes, how do you feel about what you have accomplished (or not accomplished)?  If you do not already have a review process, I encourage you to give it a try.  If you do review your journal on a regular basis, how do you go about it? 

Happy Journaling!

No comments:

Post a Comment