Monday, January 5, 2015

2015 Goals Series: Read Twelve Books

This post is part of the 2015 Goals Series, where I'll share my goals for the year, why they are important to me, and how I plan to accomplish them. You can follow along here.

brenda-starr

Hi again!  Welcome to part four of the 2015 Goals Series.  

So far I've shared a summary of my goals for this year, and reviewed in detail my goals to blog daily and reach my goal weight.  Today I'll talk about something short and sweet:  my goal to read twelve books this year.

Now I know that seems like a light goal for some of you hard core readers out there.  I've seen some of my friends on Goodreads who read sixty books or more last year!  That's amazing!  But considering I only read five books in 2014, I think my goal of twelve is a good place to start for me. That's a book a month, and that's something I should be able to do easily, now that I've rekindled my love for reading.  (Haha -- get it?  Kindle?) 

I used to devour books when I was younger.  I have my Mom to thank for that.  She has always been an avid reader, and we would visit the library once a week or so.  Some of my fondest memories are of time spent in the old library in our hometown, scanning the books on the shelves for what seemed like hours (in that regard, I totally judge a book by its cover!), poking around in the card catalogs (oh I miss those long drawers stuffed full of notecards).  I even remember the dark and dingy basement that housed all of the old newspapers.  Oh, and I can't forget the librarian, who at the time was a scary old lady.  Sadly I don't know what her name was.  I'll bet she was really nice....

Eek, sorry!  Back to my reading goal...

I still love to read, but once again I allowed life to bust in on my free time, and reading took a back seat.  So sad.  So I'm working to change that for 2015.  As I said, my plan is to read at least one book a month.  I mentioned Goodreads a moment ago.  That's the tool I use to keep track of the books I want to read, as well as the books I'm currently reading and those I've already read.  I can also see what my friends are reading and read reviews and recommendations.  And I can also share my progress on Twitter and Facebook.  It's pretty cool.

As far as my method of reading, I'm all over the map.  I have a few paper books that I'm planning to read, but I also love my Kindle app.  I have a Kindle Fire but mostly I use the app on my iPhone.  It's so convenient to not have to carry a paper book around.

I have also started using the Overdrive app that allows you to borrow ebooks and audio books from the library!  I absolutely love it!  I downloaded an audio book just the other day to listen to while I'm walking on the treadmill.  It helps to pass the time while I'm exercising, and I'm learning something at the same time.  It's great!

Honestly, I think this will be the easiest goal for me to achieve this year.  But I'm still excited about it!

Do you like to read?  Do you have any book recommendations?  List them down in the comments if you like -- I'm always open for suggestions!

Thanks again for stopping by today.  I hope you're doing well!


No comments:

Post a Comment